Thursday, October 2, 2008

Tracy: Celebrity Look-alikes

I was working at a wedding this weekend in Shelter Island. Back in the days of high school and college, I worked at an inn as a waitress over the summers. On occasion, I still help out working weddings in the fall when the college kids go back to school. Quick, easy money is always enticing.

I am walking by a table and this guy says to me, “Hey, wait a minute. Sarah Palin. You look like Sarah Palin.” Now, any of you that have worked in a restaurant, you know what it’s like to be wearing black pants, a white shirt, hair in a pony tail, sticky, sweaty gross as you walk through a steamy, un-air conditioned dining room. I stopped, looked at the guy (and the multitude of beer bottles in front of him) and just smiled. I told him that I wanted to have a back up plan in case the vice president thing doesn’t work out.

This isn’t the first time I’ve had a celebrity look alike comment. One time, again I think this person had a multitude of liquor in front of and in them, someone told me I looked like Charlize Theron. Seriously? Have you seen Charlize? Tall, blond, movie star, pilates-driven looks? Have you seen me? Short, brunette, walk to the vending machine, couch-potato style? Close, but no cigar.

I wonder what it would be like to actually look like a celebrity. There is a former swimmer, turned reporter that looks like Michael Phelps. He was swarmed in China last month by mis-informed fans. The attention must be fun for a while, but I still like the anonymity of being just me.

No comments: