Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Tracy: Santa Knows Happiness


Happiness comes in many forms. Take today for instance. We play Secret Santa at my job every year for the three weeks leading up to Christmas. This week was the first week of gift exchange and I am always one to try to figure out who has who(m?). When we only had ten people in the office, it was much easier. I even kept a logic table spreadsheet of who could have who(m?). Now that we have over 20 people involved, it's a little bit more difficult. We now use a website called Elfster.com that automatically draws and assigns the names to each Secret Santa/Santee. You can even create a wish list full of hints and ideas that will be anonymously emailed to your Secret Santa/Santee. I can't believe how high tech Santa has gotten!
I had been to the bank at lunch to close an account that had fraud on it and argued with the bank teller for the third time about this account. I then came back to the office to a staff who won't be leaving early today (the day before Thanksgiving) because we've been working overtime. And, the remodeling that was supposed to be finished in the office isn't done yet. But, as I was sitting in my office, thinking about all these annoyances, someone stopped in and brought me a Grande Skim Cappuccino with a sprinkle of cinnamon and cocoa on top from Starbucks! It was a special delivery from my Secret Santa and just put a huge smile on my face :) Thanks, Secret Santa!
You see, it really doesn't take much to make me happy. Simple pleasures are all around. I do not believe that there are any small acts of kindness. Any kindness is BIG. As we head into this holiday season, remember that it doesn't take much to put a smile on someones face. Sometimes, all it really takes is a smile (and a Grande Skim Cappuccino in my case) from you!

No comments: