Monday, May 11, 2009

Andrea: GCT Tour

This weekend My Time For Me took a tour of Grand Central Terminal. I have always loved GCT and whenever I take the train into the city, I take a moment to look up and gaze at the beautiful ceiling up above. It takes my breath away and if not for possibly getting run over by the folks walking through I would stand there for hours and just stare up.

Aside from that and a few other minor tid-bits that I have learned over the years about GCT, I did not really know too much of the history or of the less visited parts of the terminal. The tour on Saturday, while only a little over an hour long, taught me so much that I did not know or even think about. It was great and I look forward to learning more. Of course hearing our tour guide talk about the history made me want to get a book about GCT, but I refrained, I think I will just put that book on my wish list for now.

After the tour we went to not widely known Campbell Apartment located in GCT for drinks and snacks. It was such a cool little bar. It had once been the office of John W. Campbell and it was called apartment instead of office so that during prohibition, Mr. Campbell could entertain clients and offer them alcohol in his "private residence". Awesome place to grab a drink but a bit pricey and they do have a dress code, so no sneakers if you want to visit this establishment.

After the tour I put my new found knowledge of the subways to use again and did a few errands around the city. What a great day exploring new places and learning new information and all so close to home!

Check out the MTFM website this week to see pictures of the tour.

No comments: