Thursday, August 26, 2010

Andrea: Best Conversation With A Stranger

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure and the honor of having one of the best conversations I have ever had with a stranger. (Yes I know a few weeks ago and I am finally writing about it now......)

The conversation started over greeting cards and the different types with local and beach scenes. I am not sure how it happened but soon we were talking about the state of the World today and how we both felt that if people tried to look at the glass half full more often and appreciate what we do have and who we have in our lives, it could make a difference in the World. We both seem to have the same outlook on fun, and finding the good and enjoying the day and the moment that you are in and compared notes on how we both do that.

This lovely women had a wonderful and infectious smile, a warm and open personality and a vibrancy about her that made you want to spend more time talking with her.

I then found out that her and her husband had lost their home to a fire in March during those crazy storms. They lost every single thing that they had but were both lucky enough to not have been harmed. She said to me, "you can replace your things but not people". And instead of being down and beaten by the loss of their home, memories and things to the fire, she was so excited for their new home and the new location and all that these things offered to them. It was so uplifting and refreshing and really a great way to get perspective!

At the end of our conversation she thanked me, shook my hand and said she looked forward to seeing me again (we frequent the same store so it is possible and probable). I told her it was my pleasure and I looked forward to it as well.

As I mentioned this was a few weeks ago and I still can't get that lovely women or the wonderful 15 minutes I spent chatting with her out of my mind. It was such a great reminder of how to be positive and enjoy life and enjoy the strangers you meet throughout the day.

No comments: