Sunday, September 12, 2010

me and my books

I try to write about the books I read on this blog, sometimes I am more consistent than others in writing about what I have read, but I am always consistent in my reading. I read every day. I love to read and I love to keep my books. I don't keep every single book I have read but I like to keep the ones that were special to me or my favorite reads. I don't typically re-read a book so I am not keeping it to read again, just keeping it because books are like friends to me.

But since I have moved, I am limited for space - not that I was not before, but this is a different type of limited - so the other day I had to go through my books and decide which to keep and which to not. It was not an easy thing for me, but I had to do it and I did. I kept my special friends that I like to see on my bookcase and I chose to pass along my friends that I know others would enjoy. The process started with lots of piles. A pile for what I am going to keep, (inevitably, the biggest pile) a pile for www.paperbackswap.com, a pile to bring my my mom's salon and random piles for friends who I thought might enjoy a particular book.

Once my piles were arranged, I put my keep books in my bookshelf in the order I have envisioned in my head for years. It was hard to give away some of my friends, but I know they will find good homes and when I look at my bookshelf, proudly displayed in the entrance hallway or our place, I have a warm, friendly comforting feeling from my friends on the shelves.

No comments: